Re: To glass-bead or not to glass-bead...

Re: To glass-bead or not to glass-bead...

Mike and all

Marshall is correct the best way to clean a carb is media blast w/ walnut shells. The primary reason is glass media will force its way into the throttle shafts and you cannot get it out. It will remain there to grind away at the throttle shafts and bores until it turns to powder. walnut shells are excellent for the interior as well as the exterior. I dedicate a blast cabinet to walnut shells so not to cross contaminate the media. You must completely disassemble, ( not one fastener left attached ) including choke assembly and then you must use compressed air to clean all the media out. For the throttle shafts use alcohol or the electronic/ cleaner, spray both directions each place it passes through the shaft bore then blow out w/ air. Do that a few times until the shaft moves without any resistance. The very small passages I use a small copper wire and work it all those places and then blow out.
For the linkage pieces I dedicate another cabinet to a fine glass media. all the linkage pieces are steel unlike the cast aluminum or zinc die metal on the carb air horns and float bowls. Fine glass media will not move steel. It will remove any remaining rust that the walnut shells do not. Next is to refinish the linkage parts. John C. mentions Eastwoods OEM spray finishes. OEM spray is a bit of a misnomer as the OEM plated the parts not sprayed. Of course Eastwood would like us to think it is the original finish. Early plating was cadmium and later zinc w/ a gold chromate. I send out all my 57 parts for cadmium plating. That is not always cost effective or practical in small lots. That leaves spray coating like Eastwood products. I have a cad coating I use myself for customer rebuilds that do not want to go the plating route. springs can be sprayed w/ a low gloss black to replicate black oxide and give a nice contrast to the finished product. I just finished a carb using all of the above methods. If one wants to see it next to a non rebuilt carb contact me and I will e mail a photo.

Gary, The Parts Doc