RE: [Chrysler300] home Steering wheel restoration

RE: [Chrysler300] home Steering wheel restoration

Mike,
I'm using a Newport wheel for my H until I can afford to send off my clear
wheel for restoration. I went to Fall Carlisle and checked out Eastwood's
Steering Wheel Repair Kit. It's nothing more that PC7 Epoxy mix and some
sandpaper and instructions. So, instead of spending $21.95 for their kit, I
just went to my local Ace Hardware store and bought the PC7 mix for $6.
I used the PC7 to repair the Newport wheel cracks in much the same manner
you did with the JB Weld. The big difference is the viscosity of the mix.
The JB Weld is really runny and you have to baby-sit it while it sets up.
The PC7 is much stiffer and stays where you put it. I used a thin plastic
putty knife to apply the mix to the cracks. I had everything from hairlines
to gaping 1/2" voids. After I applied it I waited about 10 minutes and
then, with a cup of water, wet my fingers and smoothed out the compound to
conform to the contour of the wheel. The water keeps the goo from sticking
to your fingers and also gives it a very smooth finish. Don't use too much
water. It was much like working pottery clay. There will be some light gray
residue on the surface, let it there, it disappears as it dries. This
worked well for the smooth front as well as the finger bumps, and even for
the tight radius where the arms meet the rim, let your finger follow the
contour. The next day all I had to do was some light sanding with some fine
paper and then a few days later I primed it. I was really happy with the
results, although I didn't paint it yet.

Mark Souders