home Steering wheel restoration

I just did my first wheel repair. Short of funds, I used JB Weld 2-part
epoxy. It worked very well for a driver, though it must be painted.
The '57 wheel had chunks missing up to 3/4"-wide...so I used masking tape to
form a mold around the face of the rim. Then - with wheel face-down on the
kitchen table - I dropped-in the mixed glue batter; filling the tape mold to
the level of the finger grips. When freshly mixed, the stuff flows well at
room temperature.
Once dry (next-day) the tape peels off cleanly. Any ridges can be easily
(patience + light touch) sanded with 220-grit paper. A flat file works well
at showing high spots.
Once the face is good, the finger bumps can be built-up various ways: a blob
of clay (or silly putty) to form a mold/barrier, masking tape -- or --
allowing the epoxy to get pretty stiff then applying it and forming it by
hand (flour keeps it from sticking to fingers) into the little bumps. Once
formed, turn wheel face-side-up to dry. Gravity will still cause a bit of
glue movement, so flip the wheel every 15 minutes or so 'til dry. (its a fun
drinking game).
Rounded files and several grits of sandpaper (and that patience thing) can
then be used to form/smooth presentable repairs. A bit more
patience/creativity is necessary where the cracks are odd-shaped or really
narrow. Dentist-like removal/drilling of healthy plastic might be necessary
to get enough sticking-area for the schmutz.
When considering how damn cold it is outside -- this isn't as bad as it
sounds. Just don't let your cat step on the epoxy palette.

So far my $5.95 repair ($10 including paint) is weathering the 29-degree
nights and 60-degree days. No noticeable temperature cracking -- even where
I used bondo to fill the little cracks. The wheel face looks great. The
finger-bumps will take a bit more practice (next wheel will be ready soon!)
but aren't as visible to the cruise-in crowd. Plus the epoxy & paint should
now help stop/slow further cracking.