re: Metalcrafters and small tailfins

Hi Everyone,

As a former employee of Gaffoglio Family Metalcrafters, I have been watching
where this discussion has been going in the last day or two. George
McKovich's letter about his 'friend/auto restorer' and 'skeptic' '(who many
of you know)' prompted me to write. If I know this restorer... be careful
who you make your comments to..as they may be published without your consent!

He inferred that Metalcrafters quality would be substandard should the
quarter panels be produced. I can tell you in all honesty that nobody can
produce these parts better than this company. They have the know-how and the
tools to do it (including a two-car-garage-sized press)

For those of you who may not know... Metalcrafters is the company that
builds most, if not all, of Chrysler's concept cars. Each is built in metal,
runs, drives, has a full interior, and each vehicle is nearly fully
functional. 'Flakes' , as the 'skeptical restorer' called them, generally
don't get multi-million dollar car building contracts renewed year after
year. Metalcrafters does work every year for Chrysler and many others --
they are certainly not flakes. As an employee they worked me very hard...
but they also paid me VERY well for that work. The crunch time at
Metalcrafters is from August through the last week in December. During this
time they are finishing the cars for both the L.A. and Detroit auto shows.
Nothing else matters as much as those cars during that time.

The fact that it's hard to get a call back should be understandable to you.
EVERYONE in the Metalcrafters building is focused on finishing the cars. I
doubt they'd stop production on a multi-million dollar group of cars to
fabricate quarter panels for a 57 Chrysler. Look at the big picture and see
how it doesn't make very good business sense for them to focus on 300's at
this time.

My suggestion... be patient, designate one person to contact their office
after the dust settles there. Please keep the bashing to a minimum or
they'll just say no. Do you think their business will want to do work for a
bunch of car guys who doubt their quality or integrity? My best guess for a
great time to call -- The 2nd or 3rd week in January. At that time everyone
will be back from vacation and they may have time for a small project like
this.

Aaron Kahlenberg