Re: [Chrysler300] compression

When I was just out of highschool, one of my friends dad had a '58 Chrysler with a single four barrel 392 hemi and it would crank over 200psi so your 110 seems low. The "hotter" cam in the dual four barrel motors wasn't that much "hotter" to account for an 90psi difference. Why not try a different gage? Check the gage your using to see if the needle may be pinned against the zero stop causing it to read low. If the engine runs OK and has good power and mileage there probably isn't anything wrong. A 10psi increase in cranking compression with oil is normal. Good luck. LGJ

From: "Park Waldrop" <pwald@xxxx>
To: "Chrysler 300 Group" <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chrysler300] compression
Date: Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:59:33 -0500

What should one expect the compression to be on a moderately worn 'C' engine (std 375 hp version) at cranking speed with all plugs out? Just checked mine on the recently acquired coupe, and am a bit puzzled at the low readings (highest of 110). I expect valve overlap will reduce it a bit compared to a milder cammed engine, but am still skeptical of these readings.

Park Waldrop
Atlanta