replacing trunion with u-joint

Hi Richard, and all

Everytime I talk to Frank, at "The Driveshaft Shop" in Bohemia, LI ( 1 800
564-2244)
he also suggests replacing the trunion with a regular u-joint and slip-yoke
.

"The Driveshaft Shop" is a large, well-established rebuilder of driveshafts
and CV-joints. They also do specialized driveshaft work, for racing, custom
fabrications, etc. ; when I keep blowing driveshafts in my '62 300, they
invited me to bring it in, put it up on a lift, took measurements, and
repaired (once again) my driveshaft without ever charging me a dime for
their services. This is the car that I used to drag race.

My feeling about this is that the front joint system ( trunion) installed in
the cars was more than suitable for years and years of good service ; so far
I have resisted making such a change, especially on cars like my gold 300G
that I prefer to keep as original as possible.

As the parts to rebuild the trunions become harder and harder to find, we
might just have to consider making such a change. Of course, we could keep
our original driveshafts and bolt in a replacement slip-yoke style...

John