boots + trunion kits

Re: front trunion joints

A member of this list suggested using CV-type axle boots to replace the
rubber boots on the front trunions. Bad idea ! CV-type axle boots are made
of thermosplastic, and cannot withstand the centrifugal forces that occur at
DRIVESHAFT speed. A Constant Velocity joint spins at tire RPM - about
600 - 650 rpms . The boots are designed to handle 1000 rpms' - and not
much more. A driveshaft, on the other hand, spins at 4500 rpms or more
depending on tire size and gear ratio . CV boots will explode at that kind
of RPM .

I agree with those that have stated that new rebuild trunion kits are still
available here and there . What's NOT so easily available anymore is the
front HOUSING . It used to be that we could order either a simple rebuild
kit with just the guts , or a complete kit with guts + housing. . Of course
there still are some out there gathering dust, one has to be lucky and find
them.

One word of warning : try to stick with name-brand rebuild kits if at all
possible. I destroyed a perfectly good housing last year when the new and
freshly-installed PIN broke ! This one came from an off-brand rebuild kit.
Careful examination of the pin showed a defect in the metallurgy .

John