heat risers

I don't believe the absence of a heat riser poses any problem, unless you are driving regularly in the winter. In my case, I removed the heat riser on my corvette several years ago (I installed headers) and the only difference has been that it takes longer for the car to warm up. Fouled plugs have not been a problem.

I am in the process of rebuilding the motor on my 300L, and intend to remove the heat riser while retaining the stock exhaust manifolds. In examining the manifold, it is obvious that the heat riser poses a significant flow restriction. The engine rebuilder suggests its removal might produce an additional 15 HP.

I do agree however, that if properly maintained, seizing of the heat riser valve should not be an issue.

Steve