some thoughts

Hi All .Its a rainy afternoon. So decided to make some comments.To the guy
that wanted to put one soft break shoe and one hard shoe in each wheel .Bad
idea. you will wind up with 1/2 the low speed(soft shoe )breaking and ditto the
high speed. Also although the pressure is the same on both shoes the forces are
deferent due to friction defrence.Its not smart to put unequal forces inside a
rotating mass.Whell bearing failure or worse spindle failure will occur in
time.Thats why we Maguflux the spindles on rebuild! NEXT -when I took machine
shop in high school in 1954 I was thought that the only thing to clean a
freshly bored cylinder with was HOT soapy water.Casoline-
lacquer thinner etc. will not work.You need the viscidly of the watter to
float the( fines) out of the pores of the metal and the heat to expand the
pores.If you skip this step when the rings burnish the cylinder you get a
vary hard glaze which retards heat transfer and also prevents oil retention on
the cyl. wall .The same thing would apply to break drums or cast rotters. Except
for the oil part.NEXT To the guy with the banging rebuilt
torqueflight The specs for a letter car on clutch pack clearance are different
than a stocker about .010 less.if I remember right.When I rebuilt mine in 1978 I
got the spec from a guy in Washington after many phone calls.Its written down
some ware but I'm not near my books.Is there some help out there? Also
remember that a torqeflite has to be run in.About 300 miles to get all the
fuzzys off the fibers and polish the steels.At 1000 miles change the fluid
to flush the little stuff out! NEXT the reason they

don't arc break shoes anymore is OSHA did not like the dust in the
air.And break shops could not afford to make them dust proofed --Got
side tracked to be continued. Jim

---

--- macthehammer@xxxx

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.