Re: [Chrysler300] Squeaky Springs!

Jennifer,
Most squeeking leaf springs are caused by the leaves sliding forward/backward on each other as the car goes up/down and the spring de-arches/re-arches. Look to see if there are pads at the front and rear tips of each leaf. These pads seperate the leaves preventing metal to metal contact. Original springs had jute pads they usually fell out) and newer springs have plastic pads. If there are no pads at all, send the springs back, they dont conform to original standards. If they have pads and still squeek, the crutch is to crawl under the car every few months with a squirt can of 90wgt gear lube and squirt the lube between the leaves. This quiets the squeeks until the lube wears off. Good luck!! Larry Johnson

From: "Jennifer Allyn" <gearhead.girl@xxxx>
To: "Chrysler 300 Club Int'l Listserver" <chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Chrysler300] Squeaky Springs!
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 16:40:25 -0700

Has anyone had this problem???...

On my '62 NY wagon I ordered new leaf springs through the club and had them
installed locally. The front spring bushing seems to have an insane squeak!
I can push up & down on the rear door & the think will make all sorts of
noise. I know that the bushings are not meant to be serviced, so how do I
shut them up?

I plan to order more for the '62 300 & want to know that I can cure one '62
before fixin' the other one.

Thanks!
Matt Allyn