[Chrysler300] On the level

John:

I have a C-300 that I bought in July.  It has some add-on coil helper
springs mounted to the shocks so I may also be in need for new, rearched
or replacement springs and/or shocks.  I have read that the C-300 rear
springs were stiffer than New Yorkers, seven-leaf instead of six and 160
lbs/inch vs 100 lbs/inch.  Front coils were 800 lbs/inch vs 480
lbs/inch.  Empty, with 1/2 tank of gas and some misc. tools in trunk, my
car's ride height is 27" front and 24" rear, measured from level
concrete floor to inside top of wheel wells. Tires are  full-tread
H78-15's and probably contribute to elevation.  My chrome tips do not
drag at these height. I have heard reference to ride height, but have
not seen this specification for our C-300's and don't know where it is
measured.  Overall height to peak of roof is 61" and I have seen a spec.
for this as 60.1", so it appears the helper springs and bigger tires are
doing their thing.  I have presumed the C-300 shocks were different than
those on other Chryslers and Imperials, but don't recall any discussion
of that.

If you have received any other information that would help me evaluate
my (car's) attitude, please share.  It's Christmas and 35 degrees and
foggy in our Brentwood, CA-the one 30 miles west of Stockton.  Input
from others also welcomed and thanks to all that have helped me with my
brute this past year.

Merry Christmas to all.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA 94513
1955-CCC

jpeabo@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>    I'm scraping my tail pipes every time I use my steep driveway. Between that and all the hills here in Pittsburgh, I'm thinking of using air shocks to raise the rear of my C-300. I've come up with a shock that will bolt up. I don't know where to find the original shocks specs. The air shocks extend to 20&3/8. compress to 12&1/2 and have a travel of  7&5/8 inch.   Maybe someone in the club knows the extension and compression  parameters of a C-300. I'm not looking to change the original look of the car. I just want to drive and not worry about scraping pipes or worse, ruining my rear bumper. Also would be useful  if I ever needed towed. Any information including original rear height of car would be appreciated.   Thanks, and have a safe and enjoyable holidays,  John Peabody #3711

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used