[FWDLK] Old A/C

Are there any vintage-A/C experts out there (not Vintage Air aftermarket, but "vintage" as in '1954
through the Forward Look years)?  I was surprised to learn that in '54, the first year for
Chrylser's factory A/C system (as was available for the Imperial) the refrigerant was R-22 -
household A/C refrigerant!

I have the following questions that I hope someone with the historical knowledge can answer (or
guide me to someone who has such knowledge, such as a former A/C engineer):

1.  How long was R-22 used in cars?  When did R-12 come onto the scene and when did it become the
"standard" automobile refrigerant?

2.  What are the technical specifications of these systems (particularly the '54-'56 trunk-mounted
evaporator/blower systems)?  Namely compressor displacement, evaporator core design, condenser core
design, evaporator blower motor specs., and refrigerant capacity?

3.  I'm curious as to why/how Chrysler chose the system components as they did...wondering what the
target performance criteria was?

4.  How did these systems compare to Ford, GM, and AMC (and the remaining independents) systems in
the realm of availability, functionality, and performance?

Jason Rogers
'55 Belvedere