[FWDLK] Answers to Front End Rebuild Question

[FWDLK] Answers to Front End Rebuild Question

Thanks again to everyone that responded to my qestion about rebuilding the
front end on my 56 Dodge without the engine in place.  I figured that I
would share the responses that I recieved from the 2 people that have done
the same job that I am doing.
Scott

I disassembled my 56 Dodge chassis in the same manner as you are planning.
No problem. When I took the coil springs apart, I got a 3/4 inch all
threaded bar and some nuts and washers. I removed the shock absorber and
inserted the all threaded bar in its place. With nits and washers on both
ends, it was easy to compress the spring until the load was removed from the
upper control arm. I un bolted the upper control arm and then loosened the
nuts on the all threaded bar. The rest was easy. Re-assembly was a little
frustrating. Getting the spring compressed and the control arms pushed into
position took me, my son and a pry bar. I think it is the best way though.
The spring is fully contained by the all threaded bar, so if it slips, it
wont go anywhere.
Ken Rimington

I rebuilt the front end of my '55 Belvedere convert last year. It was a bare
frame same as yours without the motor. I found that there really is nothing
to worry about when taking the front end apart. I simply undid the two bolts
holding the upper inner bar to the frame. The coil springs pushed the whole
assembly down toward the floor but there was not a lot of force to it.
Getting it all back together is more of a trick. I used a compressor that
fits inside the coil.
Robert Bishop