Re: [FWDLK] 56 Desoto arrives!

Scott,
I just took delivery on my 56 DeSoto. What a disappointment.
The photos just didn't show the poor condition of every piece
of external chrome. Replating it all will run $1,000 or more
I am afraid. The interior is ok, but hasn't been restored.
The engine runs surprisingly well, but there is a lifter
ticking and it's kinda smokey too. Possibly too rich.

The handling is very poor. It wasn't a strong point on the
one we had either.  Needs highway rib tires, for sure and
probably better shocks. I just hope the front end parts aren't
all worn out.

The brake pedal is a little spongy. Probably needs bleeding.
The brake lights are all messed up, lol. I drove it around
the block (no tag, so real quickly). Seems like it should
stop better. Well, I guess I have work to do.

I got a shop manual with it and an owners manual and some
advertising material.

I am in need of a source for good cheap chrome!

Guess I'll just have to spray paint the engine.

Seller gave me $150 off for the paint scrape. It's not
all that bad.

-bill