[FWDLK] Starter Problems

Hello, and a very happy holiday season to everyone.

It has been a while since I have sent a message, but I
still read all the messages (and save many for future
use) daily.

Today in Chicago (western Suburbs) it got up to about
5 degrees.  Jason tried to start the 56 Belvedere and,
after a few tries, it fired up and was idling fine for
about 5 minutes (but not really warm yet given the
temerature).  He pushed the "R" button and it
immediately died.  He kept turning it over and it
would start up but would die immediately.  I figure it
hadn't warmed up enough to run smoothly yet when he
put it in gear and the choke kicked off thus making it
nearly impossible to start again until the choke would
re-engage.  Anyway, he kept trying and all of a sudden
the starter wouldn't engage.  Turn the key and get a
"thunk" or dead "click".  I'm certainly not a mechanic
but I figure the starter locked up either on a dead
spot or failed to disengage.  I should mention that
when he was trying to start it, everytime it fired up,
it died immediately and you could hear the starter
being "kicked" or failing to engage/disengage
smoothly.

Sorry for the lengthy story, but any thoughts or
sugestions?  I'm out of town tomorrow but, if the
weather is warmer on Tuesday or Wednesday, I can try
to bang on the starter with a hammer and see if that
works (I seem to remember this trick working back in
the early sixties).

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.  Remember, this is
Jason's daily driver (but not on snow days) and I
really need to keep it going for him.

Thanks again and have a great holiday season.

Joe (and Jason)
56 Bevedere(s)