Re: [FWDLK] Brakes on my 57 plymouth

Hi Robert. You do not mention whether you have manual or power brakes. I have converted my 57 Belevedere manual brake system to a 2 reservoir system with good results. The master cylinder, brass divider block (do not what the official name is) and brake lines between the master cylinder and brass block were  from a 70 Duster. The cylinder bolted up with no modifications. I used the pedal rod from the Duster, which is about 3/8 of an inch shorter than the original single system rod (they are not interchangeable). This will make the brake pedal about 3/4" lower than original, but I do not see this as a problem. I modified the the brass block's mounting bracket so the block mounts on the lower left side of the master, using the lower bolt. In addition, I modified the original hydraulic brake switch so it bolts into the brass block, allowing the original brake light wiring to be used. If you have any questions about the how to modify the brake lines, original divider block, hydraulic switch, etc.,  email me back.

PS: I am going to replace the front drums with disk brakes. I am probably going to go with the AAR setup.

regards,
Tom Noonan

Robert Hanekamp wrote:

  Hi all.I am wanting to up grade the brakes on my 57 Plymouthto newer drums or disk.And I want to put in a newer rear end also to make the car a little safer to drive and more reliable.Right now when I use my brakes the peddle pulsates. I have turned the drums and put new shoes on the car and no change.I also want to put on a two reservoir mastercylinder on the car any help on this would be appreciatedBOB. Hanekamp