[FWDLK] Exner/Karmann Ghia Connection

Hi Forward Lookers,

Can't resist contributing what I have read about the Exner/Karmann Ghia
connection. While Ghia was building the Exner-designed D'Elegance show
car for Chrysler, the company was also working on a people's sports car
for VW. When the Karmann Ghia was introduced, it bore a striking
resemblence to Exner's D'Elegance, which I believe is still owned by the
Blackhawk Museum in California.

I recall an interview with Exner Jr. who said his father was not at all
offended by Ghia borrowing from his work, and was actually flattered.

Maybe most importantly, if true, this illustrates the rightness of
Exner's instincts as a designer. At a time when the Italian design
houses were considered leaders in creating sophisticated, stylish
automobiles, some Italian designers were turning to Virgil Exner for
inspiration.

Bruce in Tulsa
1960 DeSoto Fireflite Coupe
1967 Imperial Crown Coupe