[FWDLK] ice/metal

Hi all,
        Well, here it is, only the first official day of Winter and I've had
it!  Those of you who have experienced a winter North of the Mason Dixon
line, have seen the ice chunks that fall from cars as they lumber
through the snow and slush.  We call them car turds.  Anyhow, I took my
daughter out to lunch today, for one of those father daughter days, a
little quality time.  After lunch we were on our way home, when I
spotted one of these laying in the road.  Knowing that you should avoid
hitting one of these, I thought I would show my little one how they blow
apart when you hit one.  Of course then I would explain the "Don't do as
I do," thing.  So I took aim, zeroed in and wham, I hit it square on.
After the first thud, then the second with a bang, I knew it was more
than ice I just hit.   After a very short distance up the road, I heard
and felt the rumble of a flat tire.  It turned out to be ice covered
metal of some sort, resembling a spring shackle.
        We pulled over, took out the little "donut" spare, put the jack in
place, grabbed the tire wrench and promptly broke off two studs.  Now I
would like to claim that my Schwartzenegger strength was to blame, but
below zero temps and layers of rust had gotten the best of it before I
added all I could muster.
        Well, a walk in the frigid air, a tow, and an hour and a half later at
the repair shop, plus $93, I was once again on my way home.
        So now that I have had a self induced, miserable winter experience for
the year, I am LOOKing FORWARD to spring..
        Broke, bruised and embarassed, a Dad who learned his lesson,
        John in WI
ps: For those of you who must drive North of the Mason Dixon line, steer
clear of the car turds, they may be an old Forward Look part in
disguise!