[FWDLK] Engine break-in:

Hello all, Don Dulmage is exactly right about the cranking-for-oil-pressure
thing.  The only time the cam lobes get any lube to speak of is when the
engine is running.  Best thing you can do is prime the system (preferably
before the engine is installed).  Mopar Performance makes a handy little
device for this, a 5/16" hex shaft about a foot long - slide it into the
oil pump and spin it - use  a drill or even a "speed handle" with a socket
on it (be sure to note the direction of rotation of your distributor).
Works on big or small blocks, it's cheap ($6.00 or so), and any dealer
should be able to order it for you - ask for part # P4286800. (don't forget
the "P").  Remember that you will have to do this before the regular oil
pump drive gear is installed, and I have found that the system will prime
itself more quickly if you do NOT fill the oil filter with oil before
installing.  (easier to push "air" through the galleries than oil).
Best Regards,
DaveG.