Re: [FWDLK] Cold Running Problems, Also Damp Weather Troubles

Re: [FWDLK] Cold Running Problems, Also Damp Weather Troubles

The condition is called carb icing and is caused by the moisture in the
air freezing on the throttle plate due to the pressure drop in the carb.
Lookup Charles and Boyles Law for the scientific reasons. Your heat
riser is not working properly would be the most likely cause although
some rough running with modern fuels may be unpreventable it should at
least not stall.
Gasoline is blended by season to prevent this. The explaination is long
and boring so I will skip it. Carb heat ( from the heatriser passage) is
the magor preventative. If the gas in your vehicle was bought in the
heat of the summer it will not be blended to prevent this. Also gas
bought at off-brand stations will be not the proper blend as that is how
they get it from the majors cheap. It has nothing to do with gas line
antifreeze but with the rate of evaporation etc.
Don Dulmage