Re: [FWDLK] Wheelcover Frizbees!

Bruce and David,
I think we all agree that the Forward Look wheelcovers would generally outfly the GM counterparts, even granting Dave's good argument about the Olds Rocket covers. . . but my question is which of the Forward Look cars wheelcovers would outdistance it's brethren in a frisbee flyoff??  Although I am biased, I would have to vote for my own '57 Fury cover.  Not only is it's design streamlined simplicity, with the simple coolie hat of the '57 Plymouth, but don't forget the Fury had the additional aerodynamic feature of those eight little dimples just inside the outer edge, which would act much like the fins on the car to "stabilize" the wheelcover's flight and add distance to the throw.

Of course, just like in a race with cars depending on the driver, the throw-off certainly depends on the dexterity of the thrower.  I'm just glad that, in all the great frisbee wheelcover throwoffs I've attended, I haven't been stuck with one of those 60's dog dishes, which would travel no farther than a rock.    ;-)
Mark  mjh
'57 Fury (Mr. Finzzz)

Bruce,

I would generally agree with you, Forward Look wheelcovers should outfly
almost anything. That's why the cars they put them on had fins (excuse me:
"stabilizers"). But they didn't call Oldsmobiles "Rockets" for nothing. Olds
started the horsepower race in 1949 and was a serious contender until
replaced by the Mopar Hemis in 1955. Their wheelcovers were "rocket"
propelled. I think an Olds cover would be a serious contender in a
wheelcover flyoff. My 56 Olds wheelcovers even look like flying saucers.
They must have been used as a prop in at least several B grade science
fiction movies in the 50's..

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500 (and an 56 Olds)

At 02:46 PM 8/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Ah, but how good of a Frizbee is the '55 Olds cover?  I've tried the '61 Fury
>and '61 Newport covers, and I would think a Forward Look cover would outfly any
>GM cover of the same era....
>
>Bruce Clough

Dave