Re: [FWDLK] More ?s, just can't help it...

On Fri, 10 Jul 1998, Joe Mopar wrote:

>      How available are these cars.  I have been
>      looking around lately, and I have not found many older Mopars.  There
>      are hundreds of old chevys around, but I am meeting with no Mopar
>      success.

Come to the Colorado Moar club meeting tonight, 7:00 at the rec center 1
block north of Colfax and 1 block west of Wadsworth in Lakewood.  If you
like the club, please join!  I'll have my '66 'vert there.  Also, look up
Wayne Maddox in Arvada.  He has a couple hundred old MoPars.  Sorry I
missed you at Rocky Mountain Mopar last Tuesday.  I think one of the guys
has a couple of '61 Chryslers for sale, if he shows up I'll introduce you.

>      The back of the Chrysler catalogue lists prices for cars
>      based on condition.  How accurate are these?

Take one big grain of salt.  The market for 60s and 70s MoPars in Denver
is really soft, but people still ask top dollar.  Make offers when you
find a car you like.

>      392 etc. in any (non cracked of course) condition.  I have been told
>      that these engines are worth a fortune (second only to the 426 hemi).

They are much more than the smaller hemis because so many performance
parts are available.  They are much less than the 426 when you can find
one.  I'm guessing around $800-1000 for a builder.  Look for them at boat
shops, too.  They are popular speedboat motors.

>      `58.   What are the differences between the 413 and the 392?  Is it
>      correct that the 413 was used for it's better hp over the 392?  How
>      does the 413 relate to the 426, and then the 426 hemi? Is there a
>      progression between these engines?  How does the 440 fit in with these
>      other big blocks?

Hemis are expensive to cast and machine the parts.  That's why CC went
back to the wedge design.  You can produce a ton of HP out of any wedge,
bigger is usually better.  That goes for the wallet, too ;-)

>      Was the early 383 a poly head wedge engine?

No.  The only semi-hemi poly head (I think) was the 318.  Not sure,
though, about the 313(?) 315(?) or 325.  Anyway, the 383 came in two
flavors in '58-'59, B block and RB block.  Same as the later 383 B block
and 413 RB block (albeit with a smaller bore).

>      Does it use the same block as the 318?

No.  A 318 is a small block.

David Bell
smike@xxxxxxxxx