Re: [FWDLK] They don't make them anymore

Re: [FWDLK] They don't make them anymore

In Article <Pine.OSF.3.96.980617124620.26810A-100000@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
<jbennett@xxxxxxxxxxxx> (INTERNET) wrote:

> Your experience is SO TYPICAl. My local NAPA is populated by know-it-a
> who are about 18 years old. They don't have a clue.  If it's not in th
> computer, the car was never made -- Chrysler didn't even exist in the
> early 1950s as far as these bozos are concerned.  I was once told that
> could not possibly have a 1955 Chrysler;

When my DeSoto arrived port of Turku, Finland some 8 years ago, shipping
agents in States described my car in shipping documents as a "1961 Dodge
DeSoto". And I needed 10-day temporarily insurance to drive it home,
insurance officer asked if I am sure this DeSoto is make, not a model.
It was not enough, I told sure I know this, because I own the vehicle.
And they called somebody for making things clear... Finally they believed
me, somebody said in the phone that DeSoto is make, not a model!

When my friend needed some usual parts for his Imperial from usual parts
store, seller asked: "What is Imperial? Is it old truck?". Then there are
specialized parts stores for U.S. cars and they know almost everything,
because whole Finland are "full of" old Am cars (because some models has
been cheaper than in USA).

                 MTL

Btw, Forssa car show & swap meet Finland is again in August 2, 3000 cars
and 30,000 people usual attend there. I saw group of Americans (about four
people together) last year. Power Big Meet in Vasteras, Sweden, July 10-12,
is MUCH bigger than in Forssa..