Re: [FWDLK] DeSoto in Russia

I saw the reader's letter from Russia in Finnish "V-8 Magazine",
so I was curious to know from where they had purchased those old
American cars, especially I was interested in the 1957 DeSoto they
mentioned. I received the following interesting message.

       Marko
       FIN

> From hot_rod@xxxxxx   Fri May 29 01:55:59 1998

> Of course all the cars are from Detroit

This was a Russian joke. Ha, ha. Don't you laugh?

> And each one has it's long or short way to Russia
> For example 32 Ford and 51 Merc were brought in 1997 in the USA
> 56 Caddy was bought in Finland
> 50 Merc is from Germany
> 57 De Soto is from France
> Willys(Jeeps),Studebaker(trucks),Harleys, Indians were land-leased dur
> WW2
> German pre 45 cars were tropheys
> Packard was Stalin's favourite car so we have several ones here now
> Some cars can be sold or presented to Soviet leaders
>
> Here is De Soto's owner story
> ( His'57 De Soto is a 4 door with a straight 6. He says that it is
> Diplomat De Luxe but we didn't find such model in our American cars
> guide. May you know about it?)

I have already sent them information about DeSoto Diplomats.

> The car was bought in France in '59 for 5900$ by Deputy Foreign Minist
> Sobolev and used for his wife's needs. Now it has 80000 miles. the car
> don't run cause the transmission is broken.

I hope they can fix that transmission.