Re: [FWDLK] gangsta whites

Modern tire sizes are metric; the first number is the width of the tread in
millimeters, the second is the profile, or sidewall height measured (of all
things) as a percentage of the tread width. R means radial, the last number
is the wheel size in inches, of course.

Older tire sizes are sometimes written (as in my '63 & 64 Dodge FSMs) in
inches with no profile number: 6.50 x 13

I can't give you hard and fast rules about what will and won't work;
however, you can see that as you increase tread width, you must decrease
profile in order to keep the diameter of the tire at stock height. However,
if you put a too-wide tread tire on a narrow rim, as has been mentioned
here before, the bead will become so puckered in that you'll get sidewall
flex which could even lead to blowouts at high speed under duress. Think of
those big-tire 4x4's with tires way too wide for the rims- they get
balloony and unstable.
        Exactly what the limits are is up to you to find out- but generally the
sales staff of a tire store can give you an idea of what's safe- they have
to deal with idiots wanting stupid things all the time, and know what to
warn you against. (In fact, I'm going to Cc: this to Jeremy Bartlett, an
MML'er who works for Firestone- he's got a nice '63 Valiant vert with super
wide low profile tires really nicely done. I bet he'll have good advice on
this. )
        My '64 Dart had skinny 6.50 x 13's (equivalent to 165's) when it was new,
recommended inflation 24# (!) Don't know the profile or actual tire height.
When I got it it had 185 80 R13's, which are 626mm or 24.6" high. I wanted
something wider for better grip, so I switched to 205 70 R13's, which are
(205mm x .7) sidewall height, or 24.3" overall height- only about 3/8"
lower. The wheel height looks the same, except for the wider treads you can
see in front. Wheel height has much more to do with a generally stock
appearance than tread width does, because it affects ride height and visual
proportions- not to mention keeping your speedometer accurate!

Hope this helps,

-Paul Clark
'64 Dart GT