[FWDLK] Quandry - Fouled Plugs in 354 Hemi

[FWDLK] Quandry - Fouled Plugs in 354 Hemi

My 56 Imperial, which is still under restoration, starts quickly, does not
smoke but the plugs foul with oil (and seemingly gas).  I had it towed to a
local garage where a recommended mechanic checked it over a couldn't find
anything seriously wrong.  He suggested I install an exhaust system (old
system had been removed), and fix a broken heat tube (from exhaust manifold to
auto choke on carb).  His thoughts were that the lack of heat and back
pressure was the culprit.

I have done all the above with the same results. I have also changed the plugs
(for the third time), installing the same plug used by a friend in the same
(354) engine.

I am at a loss as to what to do next and would appreciate any and all
suggestions. The engine starts easily and runs OK for a while but then stars
to make a "pop" sound, noticeable at the mufflers, as the RPM's increase.  I'm
confused as to why the plugs would foul but the engine doesn't smoke.

Confused In PA
Tom Shaw - 56 Imperial