Re: [FWDLK] Federal Mandates

At 05:08 PM 4/30/98 -0500, Robert Whitman wrote:
>I was asked by a friend when seatbelts became mandatory.  I didn't have
>the answer.  Do you know?
>This made me think about other federal mandates imposed on cars and what
>year we see these changes.  Knowing these helps me i.d. the year a car
>was made.  I can't remember them all.  I would like to know when these
>(and maybe a few other) regulations came into effect.  Can anyone out
>there "fill in the blanks"?
>
>Seat belts: ?  1966
>back up lights:  1966?  Yes
>hazard flashers:  1966?  No..probably 68.
>side marker lights:  1968  Yes
>Brake lights:  You mean two of them?  Not sure...I would guess mid 60s
>high beam: ? 1930s, sealed beams were introduced in 1940
>center-mount brake light: 1986
>turn signals:? Still optional in early 60s
>5mph bumper (front): 1973  I think it was 1974...look at a 73 camaro.
>5mph bumper (rear): 1974  I think it was 3mph on the back bumper
>"unleaded fuel only": 1973?  (does this also signify the beginning
>                                           of the catalytic converter?)

Catalytic converters were introduced in 75 to meet tougher emissions
standards, not all cars needed them, and not all cars were required to use
unleaded.

>passive restraint: 1990?
>Any more of note: 19??

dual master cylinders,  1967 or 68
Collapsing steering columns, 68
Park lights stay on with headlights, about 1970

Now, what does this have to do with Forward Look?  :)   I guess the
turnsignals would be of interest...they were optional back in the early years.

Jim
Jim Forbes                                    jforbes@xxxxxxxxxxxx