From:   Dave Stragand[SMTP:dave.stragand@KETCHUM.COM]
Sent:   Tuesday, March 24, 1998 8:58 AM
To:     tehoema@MEGAVISION.COM; L-FORWARDLOOK@LISTS.PSU.EDU
Subject:        [FORWARDLOOK] Where sometimes is heard, a discouraging word...

A list member wrote to me:

>              I am getting bombarded with people wanting to hear about my bad
> experience with Mitchells' Auto.  Almost everyone knew which vendor it
> was before I told them!  ha!  Yet many didn't and expressed interest that this
> type of forum be addressed openly.  I didn't mention names in the forum as you
> may have noticed. I didn't want to break any rules.  Any ruling on this?

Well, here's my view on "bad mouthing".  If you have an honest complaint or
 horror
story to relate to the list, by all means, you should air your views.  We've all
been burned by bad vendors at one time or another, and sharing that story will
help everyone make a more informed decision about purchasing from them.

Bear in mind though, that time goes on, and things change.  I still avoid Midas
because they screwed me on a brake job 12 years ago, and it's not right to judge
whole chain on what one person, at one store, did that long ago.  I'm sure that
the people who worked there then, are long gone now.  (In fact, the Midas is
actually long gone and there's a Wendy's there now - for about 9 years.)
Nonetheless the bad taste in my mouth has persisted, and I still avoid Midas.

Here's my point:  If you have something bad to say about a company, say it.
 Tell
your side of the story as fairly and accurately as you can, and tell the facts.
If you have an opinion, cleary state that it's your opinion, and try to keep
personal issues and insults out of the way. A quick example:

GOOD:  Mitchell's sold me a used part claiming it was N.O.S., and they wouldn't
refund my money.
BAD:  That fat, filthy pig from Mitchell's is a d*mn a**hole, and he screwed me
with used parts.

If you disagree with someone's opinion, or have a GOOD story to tell, then you
should also air your views.  Just don't attack people PERSONALLY for their views
on such-and-such a matter.  Argue the ISSUE, not the ISSUER.

-Dave Stragand
1958 Plymouth Belvedere 2door hardtop

PS> I have no experience with Mitchell's, but I have NEVER heard a single good
thing about them, either from buyers or other vendors. I'm keeping an open mind,
but I probably would not deal with them.

application/ms-tnef