[FWDLK] NO FORWARD GEARS WHEN COLD IN TORQUEFLITE

[FWDLK] NO FORWARD GEARS WHEN COLD IN TORQUEFLITE

The basic torqueflite trans contains 2 bands and 2 clutches. The bands
are the low reverse band and the kickdown band which actualy should be
called the second gear band as that is what it's sole function is. The
low reverse band is used in reverse (always) but is only used in manual
low as an extra device to hold the low reverse drum in extreme load
situations. The rest of the time (drive position or button but low gear)
is handled by a device known as a sprag which is a one way roller clutch
which works much like a starter drive, i.e. locks in one direction but
is free to turn in the other. Since you have reverse which always uses
the low reverse band then you know that that band is working OK so it is
not the problem. Since you can't even get first gear then you know that
the kickdown band is not causing the problem either. Now we come to the
clutches. The first one next to the pump or front of the trans is the
High Clutch or Direct Clutch because it is used in High gear which is
also direct drive hence the term the direct clutch. It is also used in
reverse although it's name wouldn't tell you that and since you all have
reverse then it must be OK. This is how us mechanics check a trans out
on the road test. IE if reverse is OK then so is the High or direct
clutch. That leaves only one culprit left. That is the next clutch in
and it is called the rear clutch however some of us old time mechanics
always call it the FORWARD CLUTCH because it is always on in all forward
gears. And that my friends is where the problem lies. I suspect that the
seals have gone hard over the years and until the trans warms up it just
can't quite seal well enough to overcome the spring inside. Once it is
warm however it may finally go in and once engaged will keep working as
it is never released again until it is put in neutral or reverse. Early
C4 Ford transmissions used to be really bad for this in the cold winter
weather and their design is virtually identical in function to a
torqueflite. Luckily for us, all modern seals do not seem to have this
problem any longer and it will be gone after the overhaul. Avoid using
NOS overhaul kits if possible as materials have improved so much over
the years it just makes no sense. It is possible that the manual valve
is sticking but highly ,highly unlikely. One other thing that I have
seen do this is low fluid level or the wrong dipstick so double check to
be sure. The reason that putting it in reverse seems to help is that
reverse is basically an unregulated gear because of the short time it is
in use so fluid pressures run wild and this warms the fluid up much
faster than an hour of idling in neutral. I know it's probably not the
answer you would like but it is the truth. I should tell you though that
some cars will go for an incredible time with this problem but
eventually even the reverse trick will fail and the trans will have to
come out. By the way be sure to inspect your filter inside the trans pan
as well. If your clutch is bad you will see most of it lying in the
tranny pan. It is usually like a grey mud but is also sometimes red
because of differences in clutch material. Good luck.
DOn DulmaGE
Class A Mech,I.P. and Master Mach ASE