[FWDLK] PAINT

My votes for a one step Urethane.  Its been on my wegon for 7 years and no
sign of ANY problems.  Just as nice as when put on.  Hardner was integral with
the paint.  Baked on at hi tech shop with all the no dust vent system.  Orange
peel is minimal but thats a lot with the applicator and his skill.  The shop
that did it was one of the top three in reputation in my area, recommended  by
several of the high end car makes here.  Anyway-
(But some orange peel was standard back then!)
No basecoat clearcoat folks.  Simply too Kustom Kar like to be appropriate.
Maybe in a resto rod....
Now-
I had a 54 Chev (before the enlightenment) that I had painted back in about 59
by Earl Scheib!!! yep.  for 29.95 metallics $5 extra. Had it done in a
burgandy that I beileve was a Mopar color.  It was of course baked on enamel.
Well they did it and it was awesome.  Most thought it was lacquer.   And no
basecoat clearcoat.  Just an adequate number of metallic particles in the full
thickness of paint.
Dont know what the paint shops will say today about that metallic mixture-  I
had no problems with oxidation or dulling of the metallics.  Of course today
the clearcoat protects the metallic.  And also the micro thin color coat that
can be quite expensive.
bottom line
The metallic can be done in one coat.  Whether the cost is out of sight is
another question?
Rotsa Ruck
Lars