[FWDLK] Battery Blues

Hi All,

My tar-top battery was acting up recently, so I took off the filler
caps, and it looked a bit low.   I added distilled water to each of the
cells, but I think I added too much.  Now, the battery won't hold a
charge.  Can I just drain the battery and add new acid again, or do I
have to go grab another battery?  Anybody ever done this?  Any help
would be appreciated...

-Dave Stragand

[Below is yet another one of Dave's adventures.... ]

Didn't I say "never again" to sleeping in the Mercury?  I did it again
Friday night.  Geesh.

I went to Penn State for Homecoming this weekend -- I was planning to go
in the Duchess, but because of the dead battery, I couldn't get her
started.   Shame though, all the leaves are turning and it would have
been a nice ride.

I always cook the pig for my fraternity's pig roast.  This year's piggy
was 250 pounds.  Pigzilla, basically.  There's this "pigmobile"
contraption that roasts it all night.  This one took 24 hours to cook,
so I started it at 7 o'clock on Friday night.  One problem, though, is
that the propane tanks are good for only 10 hours, so I had to get up at
5am to change it.  I figured I'd never get up if I was comfortable, so I
decide to sleep in the car yet again.

I angled the Mercury so I could see the flame in the roaster's sight
hole and went to sleep.  I'm pretty good at turning on the car when I
get cold, and turning it off when I get too warm.  I've been doing it in
my sleep.  This time though, I woke up and heard a car's engine roaring
right at me.  In whatever sleepy daze I was in I somehow figured putting
the car in drive would make the noise stop.  I did, and my car peeled
down the driveway with me half-asleep in the fully reclined driver's
seat.

I was sleeping with my foot jammed down on the accelerator --  and when
I started the car up it took off in a cloud of smoke.  Luckily, I
managed not to hit anything or anybody, but nonetheless I put a big
bungee cord around the gearshift so I couldn't do it again.  =)