[FWDLK] 440 Engine Questions

I am going to use a Mopar 440 as the power for my 56 Plymouth Savoy.
I found a number of engines and complete cars mostly from Newports
and New Yorkers.  This will be basically a street car but it will spend
some weekends at the dragstrip. At this time I am not looking
to build a radical motor but have found some dual quad manifolds that I
might pick up. The deciding factor right now is $$$.
It looks like this motor was available from 66 - 78 and the 6- pack
setups a little heavier duty, but I don't expect to find one of these.
The question is ---  Are some years better than others? are there any
that I should stay away from? Are the heads different in the "Smog
Years" (say 73-78)? The rebuilders note a difference between a cast
crank and steel crank which is better? Do I need to be concerned about
this? If there is a difference how do I tell when looking at a motor?

THANKS,
I also want to thank everyone that has responded to my previous posts,
Your suggestions an comments have given me the confidence to proceed
with this project.
Scott