Re: [FWDLK] Hemi Rebuild

Just for comparison's sake -

In college I did a '59 Pontiac 389.

They have the same lower end as a Pontiac 400, so the bearings are the same
from '59-'78 - there are some '59 specific peculiarities that make them more
money, but all Pontiac blocks are the same so there are a lot of shared
parts.  +.030 pistons were more money, if they'd had the gear to check for
core shift I could have saved some money going +.055 and using stock bore
400 pistons.

Anyways, doing the removal, teardown and machining myself in class, plus
parts through a couple of suppliers, new guides in the heads, hard seats,
planing I paid to have done through a guy who taught the machining classes
and has his own shop, I had about $1100 in it.  It still needed new
valvetrain parts and final assembly at that point.    That was 10 years ago,
but the parts prices are about the same now.

I wouldn't be surprised if the labor to have a shop do the same work would
take you to $2500 pretty quickly.

Like Adam says, it makes a difference in what parts you use, what work you
do yourself and just who does the rest of the work.   I would imagine that
on the 331 the suppliers are a little more limited, so the prices will be
higher.

Bill K.