Re: [FWDLK] OIL BATH filter Adapter

Josh,

Do you have a 2 bbl or a 4 bbl?

I converted my 4 bbl oil bath to a paper element filter, but there is
nothing special about an aftermarket filter, other than the diameter of the
opening at the bottom of the filter base. Sometimes you will need an adapter
ring, for the small diameter WCFB 4 bbl carb, which used to be available at
most auto stores like NAPA. Some late 50s and 60s Mopar paper element air
cleaners may also fit.

If you have a 2 bbl carb with the ring clamp at the bottom of the air
cleaner to hold it on the carb, I am not aware of any aftermarket air
cleaners. These carbs don't have the common center stud to hold down
aftermarket air cleaners. Possibly, the few years after the introduction of
paper filters (commonly in 1957), Mopar may have retained the ring clamp for
2 bbls. If you want to convert your 2 bbl oil bath air cleaner into a paper
element, it should not be too difficult. It is similar to my 4 bbl. Take the
top filter half off and cut around the side, about 2 inches down from the
top, so the edge of the cut is not visible when installed back in the base.
Remove all the internal guts of the oil bath until you have a simple cover
left with a 2 inch high lip. Then find a paper element that fits inside and
supports the cover at the same height as before. You may need 2 filter
elements for the right height.

Another option for a 2 bbl may be to change the carb, or top cover of the
old carb, for one off a newer Mopar with a center stud. Then there are lots
of 2 bbl chrome or polished aluminum aftermarket air cleaners for the street
rod guys who use multiple 2 bbl carb setups.

Dave Homstad
56 Dodge D500