Re: [FWDLK] Rezistors

You can check them with an ohmmeter ,  Nice to have fresh batteries in it.
Now if I remember rite, the piggyback ballast resistor is heat actuated, that
is, it functions after car is running and it heats, getting to a certain temp
and reducing the current to the coil.  So if U wanna check itfor its ohm
rating, it should be hot(?)
BUT
You can check for an open anytime.  Just disconnect one end and use the same
VOM on the resistance scale to see if you get a reading  between the ends.
If not its open, replace it.
IMHO the most common fault IS an open, said wires in the resistor getting
more brittle over the years and eventually one rupturing due to engine
vibration and running over potholes (not in my finned wonder, no!).

LARS

In sheltered West Michigan USA