[FWDLK] A Sad Tale

Hello everyone,

Last weekend was prom weekend and Jason took several
friends in his 56 Belvedere and caravaned about 60
miles to a local state park for the day after prom.
On his way back, he called and said his car had
overheated.  Long story short - after a $300 tow bill
and an assessment by my mechanic, the engine is shot.
Jason is devastated.

Mechanic estimates $3000 for a rebuild and estimates
$1000 to swap engines from our other 56 belvedere.
The other engine hasn't run in 5 years and the fellow
in Texas that we got it from told me that he had put
in a new crank shaft and had it running.  I'm trying
to get a hold of him now to find out what more he can
tell me but if it needed a new crank shaft (and the
work was done by another family member) I'm concerned
about the quality of the engine.

The obvious problem is that I don't want to throw time
and money into the second engine if it will turn out
to be no good anyway.  I may end up trying to sell
both cars as is.  Jason is really upset about that
prospect.

It's a sad tale about a great looking red/white 56
Belvedere which has bitten the dust.  You may recall
that Jason and I worked on the car together when he
was 15.  He's now 17 1/2 and it has been his daily
driver and pride and joy since he got his license.

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions or another
engine to sell?  (277 ci w/powerflight)

Thanks for your thoughts

Joe (and Jason)
56 Belveder(s) both currently dead :(