[FWDLK] how to remove wiper arms from `60 Sara

[FWDLK] how to remove wiper arms from `60 Sara

Can someone please tell me how to remove the wiper arms from my `60 Saratoga? Without breaking anything, that is.

I notice the hex nut on the wiper arm at the shaft only turns a quarter turn or so; I assume it's changing the angle of the pivot clamp on the wiper shaft, but either way I turn it, the wiper arm doesn't want to come off the shaft without a fight.

It seems that the previous owner removed one of the wiper arms and put it back on wrong (wrongly. wronglier. what?). Now my wipers don't seat right, and sometimes, when I'm serenely driving along, the wipers cycle once in a last-ditch attempt to park... that tells me the previous owner probably also did his magic on the park adjustment switch as well.

Quirks or no quirks, I love my Saratoga! I bought a 1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk about 2 weeks before buying the Saratoga, and even though the Hawk is in new-car condition and the Saratoga is more like a mental patient, I love driving my Chrysler more than I could have imagined. Hand in glove.

The Saratoga was in the shop last week getting all new brakes--new hoses, new cylinders (all 7), and new pads. A couple of the drums are at their limit and are a little out-of-round, so the car shudders a bit when braking. Nonetheless, I commented to a friend that it drives like a new car--a new Chrysler, that is. My 1998 Chrysler (despite being 3 years old) drives worse than my 41 year-old Saratoga!

Brion Kidder
Satisfaction, California