iml@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 11:49 AM
To: mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IML: Need alignment after '67 steering gearbox swap?

I'm hoping you mechanically knowledgable folks might do a "sanity check"
for me...

I recently had my mechanic swap out my '67's leaky power steering
gearbox with a rebuilt one.  It works, but now the steering wheel
crossbar is at a 45-degree angle to the right when the wheels are
straight ahead.  Also, the car pulls slightly to the right now.  My
mechanic (actually his assistant) tells me there was only one way for
the gearbox to go on, so it's not a matter of making any adjustment to
his installation -- instead, I should get the car aligned.

Does all of this sound reasonable?  Should I get the car aligned, and
can I expect that to help?

Some details:

-- I ordered the replacement gearbox from Murray Park, and specifically
had him send me a '67 Imperial gearbox, since that's one of the few
parts that the '67 and the '68 don't share.

-- I then had the gearbox rebuilt by Steer & Gear in Ohio.

-- I've used this mechanic for years, and I trust him, though his new
assistant is the one who did all the work.  This shop doesn't do
alignments, by the way, so they're not just trying to hook me into more
billable hours.

-- I've owned my Imp for 5 years and have never had it aligned.

Thanks for any advice!

Tim Klein
'67 Crown 4DHT