IML: Gays car culture

Gay car culture exists, which I find fascinating. I've toyed with mentioning this here before and may end up being substantially killed for expounding on this thread, but the subject is actually very interesting, from a number of perspectives. It is commonly assumed that being involved with cars is one of the ultimate macho activities. NASCAR dads were one of the most courted voting groups in the last election and the sophistication with which they were approached was very enlightening. The kinds of cars involved are the go fast, muscle cars, of course.

Gay car culture, though hardly a monolithic category, has a large element dedicated to large, powerful, showy land yachts. Some Imperials are, in and of themselves, totally outrageous, particularly the 57 - 62 era. The 1960 and 1961 are way, way out there, but other years are hardly shrinking violets. At a certain local Mopar car event, probably a year or so after I joined, my wife and daughter actually showed up, and I was surprised at many people's reactions. I found out that it was assumed by more than a few that I must be gay, since here I was, with this exuberant luxo-boat, a 1958, named Mrs. Blueberry of all things. In any group I am rarely the quietest person either, and this, along with a liberal streak wider than the car, induced this opinion among fellow club members. My wife could not care less about cars and I am not the kind of person who is the slightest bit upset if she takes part in my activities. We are both fiercely independent, and we married late as well, so we often go our own way and this seems to work for us.

I once attended an Imperial gathering where I think I was the only "straight" person there. I found this experience to be hilarious as I was probably the loudest person there. I think I was weirding out some of the people who came, too. I have always been a tee-totaller as well. I surmised that other people had to drink just to be able to catch up with me. Of course, this was in my younger, wilder days.

Sometimes, after I post, I get a off-list hate message, from list members who at least have the decency not to waste the time of the whole list with their bigotry. I have been called the choicest of names over the years, been accused of being comprehensively unintelligent, and any number of other calumnies that might percolate through the evidently less than balanced minds of the senders. Harmless stuff all, since name calling to me is the surrender flag of those whose argument has collapsed. Apparently, to a few, I am pursuing a virulent gay agenda. I must assume this is something of a coincidence, since, like someone else who posted to the list, I have not received the memo stating what it is. On this list, which I cherish, are some people I would not care to meet and of whom I feel obliged to have a very low opinion. Disliking someone for their skin color or their religion or their sexual preference seems so strange to me, banal if it wasn't so pervasive and frequently dangerous. Choosing to ignore a common interest in Imperials to focus on perceived differences which are not even relevant, let alone correct, is wasting time and energy.

I am a slob who likes his cars to be suitably ragged. My role model would be Nick Nolte in '48 Hours' who describes himself as a ragtop man and whose cars are one beating away from the scrap heap. Or Columbo and his Peugeot 403. I am not interested in preening cars in the slightest. With me, the hobby is all about the driving experience. If it rolls right and feels good, I am sorted. No need to polish and buff and vacuum and shine. I taught myself to work on my Imperial because I could not find anyone who could do a good job on it and I figured I could do a better job myself and save not only money but the intense frustration of being at the mercy of incompetents and indifferent so called mechanics. My Imperial looks so bad that even I think I should do something about it. The fact that the seats need to be re-padded is something I can no longer ignore.

I am fascinated by the attention to detail that some men go into on their cars. The car has to be just right. Folks who don't seem to know one type of cloth from another go into rapturous detail over what was used in car seats, doors, dashboards, parcel shelves and trunk interiors. The subtlest difference in paint shades and which is correct fill up intense conversations that leave me agog. Wives and girl friends at these events only wish the man in their life would spend a fraction of that enthusiasm of their house or clothing and their own personal appearance. Apparently, it is OK to be so fastidious when its something manly, like a car.

The car hobby, once examined, is far broader than it appears on the surface. It is certainly a lot more than a simple exercise in macho. It attracts a very broad spectrum of people. If gay people want, in addition to the mainstream list, to have a mailing list of there own, what harm? If women want one too, why not? As the lyrics go in a satiric National Lampoon song, I am a member of the oppressing class, language, race and sex. If I wasn't so poor I would be obviously be dangerous. The Imperial list is for a very small sub group of a sub group of a subgroup. Many of us felt isolated in our Imperial enthusiasm before we found this place. What's one more sub-group?

Hugh