RE: IML: 70 autotemp

There are two vacuum operated switches mounted on the front of the air
plenum.  One is yellow and controls the compressor; the other is green and
controls the whole system.  When you push the "OFF" button, the green switch
should not be getting any vacuum.

Find these two switches - they look like mushrooms, and each has one color
coded vacuum hose and a two wire push-on connector, also color coded on the
wires to match the switch.

I suspect someone has bypassed your master switch (the green one) by
unplugging the push on connector and jumpering between the two contacts in
the connector. I've done this myself when I'm troubleshooting the system or
to work around a bad switch or vacuum leak. If this has been done, the
system won't shut off.

The only other cause for this symptom is going to be much harder to track
down, and more expensive to fix, so try this one first.

Dick Benjamin