Re: IML: Dextron 3 for 61? Mystery oil

Marvel Mystery oil has been around for years. When I worked at a department store 27 years ago we could not keep it stocked. All the "old timers" would come in and buy it. I had no idea what it was.I later read about it in a restoration magazine called skinned knuckles back in the 80's. They did extensive research on oil additives at that time. They recommended only marvel mystery oil, nothing else not even STP as according to them STP would leave a residue in an engine. They reported some auto restoration shops would buy Marvel Mystery oil in drums. You can add it to the oil or gas and it is also used as a pneumatic tool oil. I think it came from the airplane industry as a product to lubricate and dispel moisture. I do not know if with todays oils that you need it per se, but I use it because it has been around decades and basically it has stood the test of time and it is from the era of the imperials that I like. It is only like 2.00 to 3.00 dollars a qt. It is not expensive like all the additives you see on the shelves today only to see them in a clearance isle years later.

I did drop the pan on my 61 Lebaron this evening and am waiting for a pan gasket. Nevertheless the pan was the cleanest I have ever seen for a car of this age. I am going to put dextron as this is what I use in my 56 and I assume it is the same for the 61.

One of our listers has got my interest up with the product called LubeGard for the tranny. I am going to study it some more. As for the 61 black Lebaron I think it one great car.

Anthony and Valerie Lacaria

1956 White Cloud over desert rose
1961 Coronado Cream Imperial
1961 Lebaron Black Beauty
1967 Imperial convertible white leather interior
1990 Imperial Triple Black Mark Cross edition.
1960 Nash Metropolitan
1957 Nash Metropolitan
1960 Red Cadillac
1969 Thunderbird 4 suicide doors