IML: Popped Power Steering Hose caused fire!!!

IML: Popped Power Steering Hose caused fire!!!

Bob,thanks for pointing that out.  I feel rotten that it happened to you and wish both of you a speedy recovery.

If any one else here is driving around on a set of power steering hoses that they did not personally replace, please do so soon!  I had a similar experience and almost lost control of the car near a place they call Devil's Slide here in California that goes about 900 feet down into surf on rocks.

These hoses can be installed by the average person with stone-age wrenches and cost little.  Yours are probably as old as your car if you have not done them.  Look under your hood at the two rubber hoses that go from your PS pump on the engine to the steering box bolted to the frame.

Engine compartment fires and loss of power steering are both unfortunate things that are preventable.

The regular suspects for wiring harnesses could include Bob Hoffmeister and Lowell Howe to start naming names.   They are of course to be found in the PARTS section of the website at the bottom of that page in the SALVAGE YARD link.

http://imperialclub.com/Part/Yards/index.htm

-Kenyon

Bob Kinker <robertkinker@xxxxxxx> wrote:

I just got my Imp back from getting the front end rebuilt. What a difference it made. Rides like a dream. However, as we were turning into my driveway, a power steering hose sprung a leak, spraying p/s fluid on the hot exhaust manifold. It caught fire, and took the engine bay wiring harness with it. Luckily we were able to put it out before too much damage was caused. Let this be a warning to you guys, check your hoses, and replace them when you rebuild your front end. I figure the hose was fine for use with the worn out, sloppy front end. After it was tightened up (rebuilt) it required more pressure  on the P/S pump to it?s job, and the hose let go.  I do feel lucky that it didn?t blow on the road, with no water or fire extinguisher nearby. In that scenario, I would have lost my car!  Maybe more!    Can any of you guys recommend a source for a new harness? Or a very nice used one?     Thanks, Bob

Toasty 64 Crown Coupe

Kenyon Wills