Re: IML: Propane on Imperials

Quoting Lib596@xxxxxxx:

the price difference is marginal.

> D2 mentioned the loss of power when using propane but unless you like to
> drive at full throttle you would hardly notice the difference. Since it is a

> dual fuel system, if you feel the need for that extra bit of fire you  can
> always
> switch over to gas.

Usually (but not always) the propane hardware add restrictions in the air
cleaner that reduce perormance even when you are on on gasoline.  The higher
the rpm, the more the impact.

In addition, propane actually runs  smoother because is
> has an octane equivalence of around 112.

You will not be able to take advantage of the higher octane, unless you increase
the compression ratio.  If you rebuild your engine with, say 12:1 compression
ratio, then you won't be able to run on gasoline.  Even with an increased
compression ratio, you will not regain the power losses due to the decreased
volumetric efficiency of the gasious fuel, sorry.  Its hard to believe that the
propane will make the engine run "smoother".

> driving an American luxury car is the boulevard ride. Propane  actually
> enhances that feeling and the engine runs quieter.

That's hard to beieve either.  The type of fuel will have no effect on the noise
coming from the exhaust.  The added restrictions in the intake could potentially
have some effect in the intake noise (positive or negative), but if the
restriction is that large, then the power loss is very serious.  Also, intake
noise is usually low unless under WOT.  The advantage of propane is that it
burns cleaner, so the oil may stay cleaner, and if the engine is used in short
trips, the deposit formation may be reduced.  And of course its cheaper in
Europe.  But if power and speed is not your cup of tea, that's also perfectly
acceptable.

D^2