Re: IML: Driving an Imperial in Europe

I have never driven an Imperial in Europe, however, I expect there will be
another dimension to all this.  Most cars in Europe are small and under
powered.  A 2 liter engine is considered a large engine there (although, a 2
liter engine in Europe probably produces more power than a car here and/or is
on a more roadable chassis).  One of the perfrormance Imperials like the 67 in
the recent new member would easily be capable of outrunning many of these cars
on the open roads.  And will probably keep up or beat many cars that are
considered fast by yhe average European standards as well.  Further, the
highways are designed for speed, the speed limits are high or non existent, the
speed traps are very rare, and the average driver is much better trained than in
the US to get out of your way.  So, I expect that driving an Imperial at high
speed in Europe will really get you a lot of respect and fear from the fellow
drivers, since they have never seen anything THAT big going THAT fast!  The
early drum braked Imperials may be challenged though because fast cars are
expected to be capable of slowing down fast as well!  Even the 67-68s with
disks may get smelly brakes after a "typical" hard stop from over 100 mph.

Propane may be an economical solution against the high gas bills, but the loss
of performance may defeat the purpose of driving an Imperial.

D^2