IML: Imperials coming and going

I'd like to add, if I may, my opinion on the "Imperials as collector cars" thread. It would appear that while operable Imperials are inexpensive to acquire they will be prized by the demolition derby community, where the Imperial, it seems, ranks high for several reasons, not the least of which is how far back the radiators are from the front of the cars, making them more difficult to knock out. Also, savvy purchasers strip the cars before the race and offset initial expenses by selling rare parts to the likes of us. Why else do you see a whole glut of really nice parts appear on eBay from the same seller all at once?

It would also appear that operable Imperials are likely to remain inexpensive until the supply runs out. They have only a limited appeal and even that is often short lived. They are difficult cars to work on, parts are relatively difficult to obtain, and owners, outside of this forum, don't get much respect for their efforts.

What is most troubling of all is the appearance of a message from an individual who used to post here all the time that his cars are now for sale. I find this very disturbing. All that time, effort and money and then . . . what? It sure makes you stop and think.

Hugh