IML: ReKeying

Congrats on the new car, Tom.

A few things about keys. Originally, the door and ignition lock cylinder were keyed for the same key, whereas the trunk and glove box locks were keyed for a seperate key. The easiest and least expensive way may be to remove a door handle assembly and the glove box lock and have keys made for each. Obviously, when you take a lock cylinder into a lock shop, they charge much less than when they come out to you.

Someone mentioned AAA key making coverage. You'd want to make sure they cover cars purchased in a non-operating condition. Some AAA clubs don't cover that as it starts to fall out of emergency roadside assistance, but your club might be different. They will need a registration slip to make a key and then likely will only be able to hand it over to the actual registered owner.

Another mentioned a trunk release. There could be one, but in a semi recent thread on the issue, it appeared that the 1st factory installation of trunk releases were in 1963, and they were electric. Thats not to say that someone couldn't have retrofitted one or originally used an aftermarket type.

One item of note, on my '63 Crown, it has a different door lock cylinder for the driver's door, someone at sometime replaced the assembly w/o refitting the original lock cylinder. It might be good to start w/the passenger front door latch if you go about it from this angle. I don't know the comparison of difficulty between the door latch and the ignition switch removal, one may be about as involved as the other.

Thanks for saving another '62.

Eric
'63 Crown Four-Door
'72 Newport Custom sedan
I just save a 1962 Crown from the dismantlers. Interior is pretty good,
exterior is fair, but needs to be redone. Engine, frame, exhaust all look
clean. Born and raised in California. No idea if it runs as there are no
ignition or trunk keys available. Any ideas how I can get into the trunk?
Will the ignition key for this year open the trunk? I am going to take the
ignition switch out and see if a locksmith can cut a key for me.