Re: IML: Nowadays They All Look The Same

On 11/4/04 6:50 pm, RandalPark@xxxxxxx wrote:

> Most automotive designs come out of a CAD program, rather than someone's
> imagination or dreams.

Just like your computer type did not type that response on its own, all car
designs are generated by humans. There are no computer programs that spit
out fully realized car designs. But humans work for other humans, who often
pay other humans in the form of clinics and focus groups for their opinions,
and then again some humans just aren't very imaginative or original. There
are also other humans called engineers and lawyers and accountants who have
a greater influence on car design now than in the past.

But the styling of a car still comes down to a small team of designers. When
that designer is left alone (and is good), the result is often cohesive,
appealing and timeless, like many of our Imperials, or even some modern cars
like a PT Cruiser. When that designer has too many "influences" (including
the all-too-common habit now of working for too many different car
companies), design distinctions get muddied. And when that designer tries to
imprint "heritage" on a brand he's not passionately knowledgeable about,
look out!

Consider: Freeman Thomas, designer of the Chrysler Crossfire, also penned
the Audi TT. Which is why the Crossfire, despite being a previous-generation
Mercedes SLK under its over-detailed skin, looks like a TT knockoff. There
is no Chrysler DNA in it.

Ford's J Mays designed the VW New Beetle and the Thunderbird. Sure, totally
different car styles, but park them next to one another and see if the
headlamps and taillamps don't look almost interchangeable from car to car!
Perfect circles of the exact same size!

Bryan Nesbitt designed the PT Cruiser and then left for GM. Wait till you
see his one project there, the Chevy HHR, next year!

Of course, this is not new. My hero Elwood Engel's early Chrysler work ('64
Imperial) looked a lot like his prior work at Ford ('61 Continental). But
his application of the look to an entire corporation was brilliant, and his
evolution of it through the years was cohesive and elegant from the topline
Imperial to the common Valiant. And his fuselage generation showed he was
more than a one-trick pony. I guess it comes down to whose work you like...

I think the IMLer who noted that his parents used to say the same thing
about new cars of the 60s nailed it. We all have a generation of cars with
which we are most intimate. Thankfully we are (nearly) all fortunate enough
to have found examples of them to enjoy many years later! Maybe someday
we'll be wistfully reminiscing about the cars of today and how distinctive
they all seemed compared to our hydrogen-powered personal transport modules
of 2040!

--
Chris in LA
67 Crown