IML: 80's Imperial What is this?

As I slowly try to resurrect my '82 while driving it daily I have attempted to clean all the electrical connections under the hood. There is one connector (2 or 3 wire) on the passenger side of the engine, that attaches to a small item that looks like a little coil, dark, almost like lead, maybe the size of c battery only a little longer. Does anybody have any idea what this is or what it does? Mine seems to be flaking a little at the bottom and it's not attached to anything. Sorry for the cryptic description, but darkness was coming and it's hard enough just getting the air cleaner back on that thing in the dark. I tried to find it in the FSM, but couldn't. That's not that unusual for me with that FSM.

Rob