IML: Coolant temp sensor (was Radiator Fan Malfunction?)

IML: Coolant temp sensor (was Radiator Fan Malfunction?)

I have heard that improper grounding can cause this kind of electrical
gremlin.  Follow the wiring from the negative battery cable to the engine
ground on the left side of the engine.  Next, follow the wiring from the
same cable to splice Z0, from which splits the body ground on the left
fender side shield.  Wire Z1 (12 gauge black) also splits from this splice,
connecting to the radiator fan motor.  The diagram also indicates some
fuzzy relationship between the fan motor and the engine ground on the
starter motor center bolt.  There are other grounds, but none are directly
connected to the fan motor wiring.

Regarding the coolant temperature sensor:  it sends a resistance output
that, among other things, cycles the cooling fan on and off.  This
temperature sensor is located in the thermostat housing.  It sounds like
your computer is receiving spurious input that makes it think the fan
should be on or, worse, the computer is cycling the fan for no good reason.
Provided the grounding is adequate, I would next check the codes using the
key cycle method.  Code 22 indicates failure of the sensor circuit.

If there is no code failure, I would check the wiring coming from that
sensor anyway to see if it is intact.  You can probe the output with a
multimeter while it is in place or take it out and use a pan of warm water
to check its output.  Should be around 5K ohms when cold and around 1K ohms
at operating temperature.

If you decide to do it in place, you'll probably have to disconnect the
coil from its mount to get access to the sensor.  If you want to remove the
sensor for testing, you'll definitely have to remove the coil.  No need to
disconnect the plug wires, just move the whole assembly out of the way.
The engine will run just fine in this state, just keep all wires away from
moving parts.  I recommend cleaning any wire contacts while you have them
disconnected.

No matter which era, Chrysler products and their electrical problems --
incroyable!

Good luck,

David
'91 K-Imperial driver
'66 Crown Coupe project
'66 Newport dual exhaust .030 over Eddys/Hurst/Cragars daughter's first
Mopar

                      Laurent Daudelin
                      <laurentdaudelin@hotmail        To:       Imperial Club <mailing-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                      .com>                           cc:
                      Sent by:                        Subject:  Re: IML: Radiator Fan Malfunction?
                      ialclub.com

                      09/14/2004 09:09 PM
                      Please respond to
                      mailing-list

on 14/09/04 17:51, Klebert L. Hall at swampyankee@xxxxxxx wrote:

>> Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 20:19:33 -0400
>> Subject: IML: Radiator Fan Malfunction?
>>
>> Over the past weekend, I noticed that when I would turn off the engine,
the
>> electric radiator fans would stay on. The first time it did it, I
thought
> it
>> was odd but I didn't pay much attention.
>
> <snip>
>
>> So, there is something odd going on. I think that it might be some kind
of
>> relay or switch but I was wondering if anybody had a first hand
experience
>> with that kind of problem. I already have an appointment this coming
>> Thursday with my friendly mechanic, but if it was a quick fix, I would
> avoid
>> a 40 minutes drive to get there, and another 40 minutes to come back.
>>
>> This is happening on my Imperial 1993, BTW.
>>
>> Thoughts? Comments? Any insight is appreciated!
>
>  There's usually a little thermostatic switch / relay / sender on the
> block (or one of the coolant tubes) that turns the fan on and off. Sounds
> like yours is failing. I don't know the '90s Imperials at all, but on
most
> cars you can just follow the wires back from tha fan to find it.

Hmm, OK, I will try to look for this. I had a quick look from under the car
and can't seem to remember seeing any of those but maybe I didn't look
carefully enough.

Thanks, I'll check it out!

-Laurent.

Laurent Daudelin   AIM/iChat: LaurentDaudelin    <http://nemesys.dyndns.org