From: "Jay King" <j_king@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, May 10, 2004 12:43 PM
Subject: IML:

> Hello list,
>
> I would consider it a personal favor if everyone would take a moment
sometime today and turn towards Huntsville, Alabama just to give a nod of
respect to Kerry Pinkerton. Kerry embodies the best qualities of this list,
helpful, thoughtful, and wonderfully friendly. I bought my Imperial from him
15 months ago.

> My daughter finished her sophomore college exams Friday and I had planned
to drive up to Sewanee, Tennessee (about 300 miles) to bring her home for
Mother's Day. My '73 LeBaron (known as Silent Bob) was thoroughly checked
out and ready for the trip, so son Jamie and I set out Saturday morning at
7:00--a lovely drive, a terrific car, and fresh R134a in the A/C system for
when the temperature began to rise.

> We had some difficulty with overheating after about two hours on the
interstate, but I expected that. (Has anyone tried "Water Wetter" or similar
products in a 440?)

> After negotiating the interstate bypass through Huntsville, Silent Bob
died in traffic, exhibiting symptoms of vapor lock, fuel pump failure, or
out-of-gas. The gas gauge is inop so I carry a 2.5 gallon gas can in the
trunk. Two gallons in the tank and a splash into the Edelbrock eliminated
diagnoses (1) and (3), and being in a strange city on a Saturday, I called
Kerry. He showed up in about 30 minutes with tools and a fuel pump from
O'Reilley's and quickly changed out the pump with some help from Jamie.

> The car was still no-start, so Kerry checked the fuel pump pushrod and
determined that it was worn. A few calls determined that no pushrod was
available on Saturday afternoon, though just about any parts house could
have one by Monday. Kerry then offered to trailer the car to his home and
lend us a pickup truck to complete our mission. We gratefully accepted, and
quicker than it takes to tell it, Kerry was back with the trailer and his
son Chris driving his "spare" pickup. We loaded up Silent Bob, tossed our
overnight bag into the truck, and motored on.

> Of course, when we arrived, daughter Lauren had not packed, so we spent
the evening packing, moved her things that she planned to leave at Sewanee
to a storage locker, and finally loaded up and drove home in Kerry's truck
Sunday morning so Lauren's mom got to see her on Mother's Day. We will make
a run next Sunday to return the pickup and bring Silent Bob home. Kerry
called this morning to make sure we had gotten home safely and to say that
he had gotten a pushrod and would be changing it out this week.

> It has not (yet) been my pleasure to spend much time with Kerry, but from
our phone conversations and his honest assessment of Silent Bob when I
purchased him, I know Kerry is a good guy and a straight shooter. His
helpful response this weekend went far beyond the norm of
"acquaintance-ship." He saved our bacon on a hot, difficult day, and I owe
him a debt of gratitude.

> Thanks, Kerry! I hope you are never broken down on the side of the road in
Meridian, Mississippi (or anywhere near), but if you should be, I would be
honored and happy to return the favor!